Monday, February 25, 2008

Meet the Parents

I just got back from an interview with Holland America to be a tour director this summer. I still have my black slacks and shirt and tie on as I sit here on my bed writing this.

Ack! I have such mixed feelings about this job! I was trying to feign excitement about it at the interview but really I was sort of ambivalent. I want to go to Alaska so I can earn lots of money for school next year and so that I can get a free cruise to send my parents on vacation. My dad, who used to be in the navy, has always wanted to go on a cruise to Alaska to see the glaciers.

On the other hand, I have an amazing boyfriend and great friends here in Utah and I want to get a jump on school, possibly even starting this summer. Also, there are so many things I want to do and places I want to go this summer and I won't be able to do any of them if I'm in Alaska...though I'm sure it will be great to see more of Alaska than I did last year.

So to sum this up, I'm totally cool with getting hired or rejected, but I'd like to find out soon so that I can start planning my life.

In other news, I drove up to Kaysville and met most of Jon's family yesterday. (He met my parents a few days ago)

First of all, Kaysville is way out there. I love it though. It's not the suburban, commercial, overrun with billboards and concrete and signs sort of place that Utah County and a lot of Salt Lake County are. Kaysville is still a lot of country. It's growing, but the houses are farther apart and there are still places where you can look out and see open spaces and big sky.

It was a little bit weird at his house with his parents, but mostly good. They made small talk (though sometimes my mind went blanks and I didn't know what to say or what exactly they were talking about) and we had dinner over there. His mom makes amazing cookies, so really thats all I needed to like her. His parents are a lot like mine, actually. Mom is the more sociable of the pair and worries about her kids a lot and the state of her marriage depresses her sometimes. Dad is more distant, but very opinionated if you get him talking. I can understand these people.

After dinner we went to Jon's sister's place to watch the Oscars. His sister and her husband are way cool and a lot of fun. Jon's sister, Em, has a best friend, Kerry, who is a lesbian, and Kerry and her partner were there too. We had most of the gamut of sexuality covered in that living room. The lesbians were a riot to be with...extra hilarious girls. They fastforwarded through most of the Oscars though (tivo) and that was kind of annoying, but I guess Jon's sister and I were the only ones who actually wanted to see everything because everyone else seemed to cheer Kerry on when she grabbed the remote and pushed the fast forward button through whatever she deemed to be boring. I didn't fight it though, I just sat back and ate Reese's peanut butter cups to my heart's content.

We went back to Jon's place and talked and had some sweet sweet action in Jon's room (yeah, so nice...he's hot) and then I drove home.

I'm still feeling a little tethered in this thing. We're at the point where I know if it ended, it would hurt Jon. And me too a little...this guy is really incredible and I love him. There are so many things I want to do yet in life that would require me to move or be away though...I need to figure out how to make this work.

No comments: