Sunday, August 07, 2005

Saturday

This week has been so great. I have a few exceptional friends here in Provo, the kind of people you can call up and rely on to do anything at anytime. For Instance: If the Ring Bearer wants Cheese fries at Denny's at 12:01 AM on Monday morning, we all go eat cheese fries. If Pinetree and the Deutschlander* want to go camping beginning at 10:00 PM on Thursday just so we can build a fire and roast hot dogs and marshmallows and go watch the stars, we go camping. If Wiggle and Given want to watch a movie (Moulin Rouge the other night, which I had not seen and have to say is really cool) at her place, then by golly we go watch a movie...and so much more! I love that none of these people have to check their "cool" meter before they can go hang out with whoever, its so great. I need to know more people like this. If we can do it, we will.

Today was great too, so I'll tell you about it even though it's not nearly as nice to read or write about.

I woke up around 11:00 AM today on account of I was up until around 4 AM the night before. I mosied on down to Smiths to buy some groceries. I noticed the highly overpriced sushi and couldn't help but pick some up. Sushi and avocados are the two luxuries I afford myself at the grocery store here in Utah. But no avocados today, just sushi.

I go outside and sit down under a big shady tree to eat my sushi and watch the cars and people go by and this totally random guy (have i mentioned how much I love totally random strangers who talk and/or dance with me?) comes out of nowhere and carries on this conversation with me about my red hair and how its great and how he has all these family members with red hair and what percentage of people in the world he thinks have red hair, and how we of the pastier red-haired variety get sunburned so much easier when summer rolls along and yadayadayada... and I'm smiling and nodding and being polite and eating sushi under a tree and its just bliss.

Given is here now, back from Alabama, so he called me up soon after I had walked home and we hung out today. He's going on his mission to Brazil in October. I'm so proud of the guy.
We sat on the cement outside Wiggle's house this afternoon talking about deeper matters until Wiggle's roommate came out to try to join the conversation and sit next to us. Ergo, we had to stop abruptly to make room for idle chit-chat. I don't think everything we had to say was said, in fact I'm sure we could have gone on quite a while longer, but Given, if you're reading this, I think you'll do all right. You're a genuinely good guy and you'll make a great missionary and a fantastic high school art teacher.

So after the chit-chat outside, we went inside to eat ice cream and wait for the Deutschlander and his roommate and other friend to show up so we could go hiking. Roommate and said friend arrive and the friend looks incredibly familiar though I cannot tell where I know him from.

We drive up the canyon listening to some awesome techno beats (Deutschlander has some great Blümchen music) and go hike up by Sundance to this giant waterfall and everything was green and gorgeous and then we went higher (err..some of us did) up this really steep, rocky slant (that we probably shouldn't have pursued) only to have an adrenaline-pumping, slightly terrifying hike/climb/avalanche-style-slide back down. I have several cuts and scrapes to show for it. :)

What a great trip...

So we drive back down to Provo and eat at Mimi's Cafe, where Given fills us in one some details of southern culture and is highly impressed by the waitress who knows the difference between Okra and File (don't ask). It was all grand, but in the back of my mind I keep wondering where I know this friend of the Deutschlander's from. So on the car ride back we name off people we know, events we have attended, organizations we have belonged to, etc, and finally realize we talked to each other once before at a mutual friend's birthday party earlier in the year. ....This was slightly satisfying, but I swear I know him from somewhere else...I've seen him elsewhere, and more recently, I'm nearly positive... but I can't put my finger on it...I have to say the feelings aren't necessarily good either and they irk me just a little bit...Never the less, I like a nice guy and we had a fun time.

After dinner it was back to Deutschlander's place to watch Frequency, and then home by around 1:30 in the morning. I love it.

So off I go to bed, rather content.

Goodnight and a Happy Sunday to you all.

*(I am taking the liberty of making an alias for this person as he is a really nice, cool guy and does not have a blog. I am fairly confident he will come up more in the future. Smurf will be consulted at a later time and the name may be subject to change)

2 comments:

el veneno said...

Isn't it amazing how good life is somedays? The good days make all the not so good ones easier to forget. Glad you're doing well.

Gregory said...

I rather enjoyed this blog, except for the part where if anyone reads my other blog then they will know about the blog under which I'm posting. Anyway, it's great to be here. I posted just now and refered to our other new blogless friend as the Dancing J. We'll see how much that catches on. And thanks for the compliment.