Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Favorites

Monument:
-Lion Monument, Lucerne, Switzerland






Singers, Female:
-Alizee
-Blumchen
-Shakira
-Nelly Fertado
-Alanis
-Amaia Montero
-Chicks from Tatu
-Jewel
-Charlotte Church
-Leigh Nash (Sixepence None the Richer)

Male Voices/Bands:
-Dave Grohl
-Josh Groban
-Rufus Wainwright
-Damien Rice
-Garth Brooks
-Jack Mannequin (from Something Corporate, but also on his own)
-James Taylor
And..I can’t remember all their names so I’ll just put their bands:
-Weezer
-Coldplay
-Greenday
-Jimmy Eat World
-Postal Service

Most Beautiful People:





Coincidentally they are on the same TV show....
Hot.



Hair Products:
-Iced Tea Shampoo


-American Crew hair gel
-Tea tree hair wax

Female Characters:
-Nicole Kidman in Bewitched
-Sam (Natalie Portman) from Garden State


-Amelie (Audrey Tautou)
-Harper, (Mary Louise Parker) wife in Angels in America
-All the models who played shy girls in Shallow Hal. (SO hot, by the way)
-Daria
I find that most of these characters are people who can hold heir own and do what they need to do, but are still incredibly self-conscious about everything as adults. I identify with that.

Male Characters:


-Guido Orefice (Roberto Benigni) in Life is Beautiful
-Yoda (okay, so maybe he’s a puppet. whatever.)


-Calvin and Hobbes
-Tobias (from the Animorphs series)
-The man being tempted in The Screwtape Letters



Mmm...Food:
-avocados


-sushi
-cookies
-pancakes


-chow mein
-pasta in general
-curry chicken bowls from terriyaki sticks
-BYU brownies
-Naan (Indian bread) and most other Indian food
-warm fajitas, enchiladas, and good, fat burritos.


Most things generally accepted as food and placed in front of me on a serving dish. Or even just placed before me.

Ways to Get From Here to There:
-Train - any type, but I’m especially fond of the tube in London, night trains from France to Switzerland, and Amtrak from California to Utah in the viewing car.


-Bike
-In the car, alone, music blaring, me singing horribly.
-Canoe

Types of Weather:
-Cloudy mornings, fog and rain: Feels like magic, like survival. I think: home, walking to seminary in the morning, outerwear, my pale face in the cold, running,
-Summer, at night. Feels like fun, carefree. I think: Venice, gelattos, the beach at sunset, looking over city lights, solitude, playing

Activities:
-Eating
-Dancing
-Running
-Reading at a moderate pace.
-Daydreaming
-Sleeping, or basking in those few moments before I completely fall asleep, and those little leftovers of dreams that I have left when I wask up early in the morning.

Mountains that I’ve Seen:
-Mt. Pilatus, Switzerland


-Grand Tetons, Wyoming
-Y mount, and that sort of rocky mountain just left of Provo Canyon. I always think it looks very cool
-Sierras, all of them.

Colors:
-green, like ivy and/or pinetrees
-very deep, dark blue
-Orangey/pink like a sunset
-reddish-brown like redwood trees.

Ha! you’d think I was a hippie...



Superheroes and Mutants:


-Nightcrawler


-Rogue
-Batman
-Superman
-Spiderman
-Jean Grey


-Sailor Moon et al.
-Super Grover





Hymns:
-Lead Kindly Light
-Be Still My Soul
-Where Can I Turn for Peace?
-Praise to the Man
-A Poorwayfaring Man of Grief
-Come Come Ye Saints
-Nearer, My God, to Thee
-Abide With Me ‘tis Eventide
-I Stand All Amazed
-Because I Have Been Given Much
-Lord, I Would Follow Thee

Articles of Clothing:
-London T-shirt
-green silk tie from Italy
-big blue Hoodie
-Green BYU shirt
-Mom’s old blue 70’s track jacket
-Yellow/black/green clubbing bicycle shirt
-Fall sweater with patches of different colors
-old green sweatshirt
-green track jacket
-green cardigan with brownish shirt that Given picked out for me.
-Running shoes, even though they are dying.


Songs:
-Nicole Kidman - One Day I’ll Fly Away
-Jimmy Eat World - Hear You Me
-The Streets - Dry Your Eyes Mate
-Colors - Soledad
-Leanne Womack - I hope you dance
-Garth Brooks - To Make You Feel My Love
-Weezer - Hold Me
-Madonna - X-Static Process
-John Denver - Annie’s Song
-Irish Rovers - Waltzing Matilda
-Les Miserables - Who Am I?
-Lots more...

Beautiful Scriptures and Quotes (just a few. we could do a whole other post on this)

1 Corinthians 13:12-13
12 For now we see through a glass darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known
13 And no abideth faith, hope, charity, these three; but the greatest of these is charity

Doctrine and Covenants 84:88
And whoso receiveth you, there I will be also, for I will go before your face. I will be on your right hand and on your left, and my Spirit shall be in your hearts, and mine angels round about you, to bear you up.

Alma 7:11-12
11 And he shall go forth, suffering pains and afflictions and temptations of every kind; and this that the word might be fulfilled which saith he will take upon him the pains and the sicknesses of his people.
12 And he will take upon him death, that he may loose the bands of death which bind his people; and he will take upon him their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities




"I ask you to stop this criticism. You are discussing a matter you know nothing about. Cold historic facts mean nothing here, for they give no proper interpretation of the questions involved. Mistake to send the Handcart Company out so late in the season? Yes! But I was in that company and my wife was in it, and Sister Nellie Unthank whom you have cited here was there, too. We suffered beyond anything you can imagine and many died of exposure and starvation, but did you ever hear a survivor of that company utter a word of criticism? Every one of us came through with the absolute knowledge that God lives for we became acquainted with Him in our extremities.”

"I have pulled my handcart when I was so weak and weary from illness and lack of food that I could hardly put one foot ahead of the other. I have looked ahead and seen a patch of sand or a hill slope and I have said, I can go only that far and there I must give up for I cannot pull the load through it. I have gone to that sand and when I reached it, the cart began pushing me! I have looked back many times to see who was pushing my cart, but my eyes saw no one. I knew then that the Angels of God were there.”

Francis Webster, my great, great, great grandfather, mom’s side.

“Jesus did not condone; he declined to condemn; but he sent the sinner away with a solemn adjuration to a better life.”

Talmage, Jesus the Christ

"He wants them to learn to walk and must thereforetake away his hand; and if only the will to walk is really there He is pleased even with their stumbles. Do not be deceived, Wormwood. Our cause is never more in danger than when a human, no longer desiring, but still intending, to do our Enemy's will, looks round upon a universe from which every trace of Him seems to have vanished, and asks why he has been forsaken, and still obeys."

C.S. Lewis, The Screwtape Letters



Places I Want to Go:
-Ireland
-Denmark
-Japan
-Taiwan
-Hong Kong
-Wales
-Spain
-India
-Brazil
-Mexico
-Chile
-Argentina
-Iceland
-Alaska
-All over the East Coast
-Washington/Oregon

Places I Want to Go to Again:
-Yosemite
-The Grand Tetons/Yellowstone
-Zions National Park


-Everywhere I went in Europe...especially London, Switzerland and Germany.
-Santa Clara, California...and all over the bay area

Places I Wouldn’t Mind Not Seeing Again:
-Nevada

Favorite People I’m Missing in California:
-Steven
-Liz
-Ashley
-Nick
-Little Nick
-Raja
-Kimball
-Will
-Chris
-Morgan
-Sarah

Yeah....pretty much everyone really. So much so that continuing this list would be silly. Trip to California anyone?

10 comments:

Gregory said...

What a fantastic list; perhaps my favorite yet. Thier ununiformity, lack of numbering, and varing numbers were refreshing. Also, I love driving with the windows down, music blaring and singing at the top of my lungs. I prefer to do it alone, but if the musti is lound enough I'll do it despite who is in the car. Like last night one the way home from the Trying Patriarch's mother's house. Thank you Alanis. Also, you could change the title of "Places I do not want to see again" into "Places no one in their right mind ever wants see again and yes we should store our nuclear waste there, and we should rent out lots to other nations and have them store their's there too." I don't think anyone would really mind.

el veneno said...

That post made me so happy. And yes Given, I agree its quite possibly the best list yet. It really made me smile to see what incredible taste you have Pinetree (except maybe for the sushi). The mountains, the weather descriptions, the hymns, your colors... impeccable.
Your list of favorite voices/bands is perfect. I'll be searching for samples of the few artists and songs I don't recognize. By the way, I downloaded Hold Me when you commented about it once on my blog--its been well-played now.
Let me know when you get a chance to travel to those places on your list cause I'm definitely in.

JB said...

I am offended on behalf of Nevada. But only mildly so. I think it's beautiful there, but I realize not a lot of people do.

The rest of your list is awesome, though and you went up about a million coolness points for having the following:

Daria
Sailor Moon et al
The Streets - Dry Your Eyes Mate (which is now stuck in my head :) )
Naan
Yoda
Tobias

In case you were wondering. . . .

eleka nahmen said...

Harper in Angels in America (if you are meaning the transcendently beautiful movie/miniseries) was actually played by Mary-Louise Parker, who is a positively marvelous actress. Just had to point that out :)

Great list. Your name is still my favorite of those that I've given to people, I must say :)

And I must disagree with el veneno - sushi is delicious. As long as it's high in quality and low in quantity.

pinetree said...

Hey, thanks, Eleka! I stand corrected and in awe of your mastery over gay pop culture trivia. It *was* Mary Louise Parker, and she is incredibly talented. I wasn't sure what her name was to begin with, so I looked it up on some bogus internet site and must have made a mistake. I'm not sure where I got the other name from in retrospect...

I love my blog name. It goes without saying that you have fabulous taste.

VenerableRyo said...

Pinetree, it frightens me how many of those things we have in common.

Jokey Smurf said...

Did you mean Rivers Cuomo or did you mean "Foo Fighters" on your first male voice? You seem to have the guy with the wrong band, or vice versa. Anyway, I have to say that I absolutley love "Soledad" by Colors. They should rightfully be on my list. And whoever Jessica Bidet is, I have to side with my friend here on the Nevada issue. It would be fine if it wanted to be ugly somewhere else, like in the Philippines, where I'll never, ever go, but NO! It has to go and be ugly and humongous right between here and home. Hate it.

pinetree said...

Bloody Hell....

You guys really need to start making yourselves useful and look over my homework for me.

blueshorts said...

I love the Lion Monument. We'll have to stop in Lucerne sometime for a visit.

el veneno said...

Hmm avocados. I swear I got the idea to but avocados from the lady giving samples at macey's and this is not another example of me trying to steal coolness from you.